Sunday, August 21, 2016

SERMON NOTES (Aug 21, 2016): Knowing God: His Word-His Ways-His Will; Ps 119:105-107; Is 55:6-9; Rom 12:1-2



Knowing God: His Word, His Ways, His Will
Introduction: Book Recommendations: Knowing God by J.I. Packer - Christianity Today voted this title one of the top 50 books that have shaped evangelicals. 3 sections: 1) how and why we know God, 2) the attributes of God 3) benefits enjoyed by a those who know him intimately. Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. Discusses God’s character, the work of the Holy Spirit and our becoming like Him as He changes us.

READ:
Psalm 119:105-107
Your word is a lamp to my feet
            And a light to my path.
I have sworn and I will confirm it,
            That I will keep Your righteous ordinances.
I am exceedingly afflicted;
            Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.

Isaiah 55:6-9
Seek the LORD while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the un-righteous man his thoughts; and let him return to the LORD, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

I.                  Knowing God involves knowing God’s WORD

Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” – Ps 119:105

More than an old Amy Grant song. This little light of mine: Bible is a flashlight that shows me the way in the dark; it prevents my stumbling over obstacles, or failing down precipices, or wandering off into paths which would lead into danger, or would turn me away altogether from the path to life. Every answer you need you can find in God’s word: Have you given up searching? Sometimes the light is turned on only in the time you need it.

Proverbs 6:23: "The commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life."

Psalm 119:11: Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.

Heb 4:12: For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

John 6:68: Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words 
of eternal life.

Ps 119:107: REVIVE ME, O Lord, according to Your word.

App. The depth of your knowing God is directly proportional to your delving into His word.

II.               Knowing God involves knowing God’s WAYS

“My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. – Is 55:8

Is 55:6-7: Seek… call…forsake…return: submission to God even when you don’t understand why!

ILL. Bourne – Door- doesn’t always understand why I open the door (ignorance) & Leash – thinks he is the one who is directing me (stubborness)

ILL. WWJD? No, WDJD? Quit guessing! WIJD! 

App. The height of your knowing God is directly proportional to your submission to His ways.

III.           Knowing God involves knowing God’s WILL
“Present your bodies as living sacrifices…so that you would know what the will of God is.” – Rom 12:1-2

Knowing God is a process. Salvation, Sanctification, one day Glorification. Throughout, Blackaby called it “crises of belief”. God uses things to let you hit these moments:
     1)    His word. Infallible, inerrant, inspired.
     2)    Prayer changes YOU
     3)    Current Circumstances that the Holy Spirit uses to shape you
     4)    Spiritual Markers or experiences of the past.

ILL. Leading Experiencing God at a previous church; young deacon who said “I’m afraid of knowing God more, because it might require something of me that I don’t want to give.”

App. The span of your knowledge of God is directly proportional to your life transformation by His will.

When you pray, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. If heaven is going to be great, why do we fear His will on earth?


Concl. His will for you to be saved, revived, devoted & serving on mission.

No comments:


4 C's of the Cooperative Program - by Buck Burch

(Reprinted from The Christian Index: https://christianindex.org/stories/commentary-four-cs-of-the-cooperative-program,63306) T o put mysel...