Sunday, May 15, 2016

SERMON NOTES (May 15 2016): One Story- Eph 4:1-6

One Story – Ephesians 4:1-6
Intro: Sharing One Thing- If I could tell you just one thing, it would be this… Exclusivity of Gospel & Oral Way to Share Gospel

ONE TRACK MIND
***What we say matches up to how we live: WHAT IS THE ONE STORY WE ARE TELLING PEOPLE ESPECIALLY IN AN AGE WHEN THERE SEEMS TO BE NOTHING THAT CAN TRULY BE TRUSTED? WHAT’S FOREVER? WHAT NEVER FAILS?
Is Jesus the only Savior? Is faith in Christ necessary to be saved? 
Pluralism 
Inclusivism
Exclusivism  
       Worthy Walk- Represents the Gospel   (Phil 1:27)
Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel
YOUR CONDUCT TELLS ONE STORY
       Singular Spirit- Reflects Christ (Luke 4:18; Phil 4:7; Rom 14:17)
The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set free those who are oppressed – Luke 4:18
And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Phil 4:7
for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. – Rom 14:17
YOUR SPIRIT TELLS ONE STORY
       Diligent Safeguard- Requires our Action (1 Tim 6:20; 2 Tim 1:14)
O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you
Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.
YOUR PROTECTIVE ACTIONS TELL ONE STORY
       Peaceful Bond- Restricts Loss  (Is 26:3; John 6:37)
You will keep in perfect peace,
Because he trusts in You – Is 26:3
All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. – John 6:37
YOUR PEACEFUL SECURITY TELLS ONE STORY

Oral Learners: Chronological Bible Storying. New Tribes Mission (Philippines, 70s)- direct stories from Scripture, no commentary. 90s- Jim Slack IMB

SEVEN SUBJECTS OF ONE STORY & How to use pictures, song lyrics, etc.

I.                   A Single Body – Rev 21:2 (At a Wedding)
Twila Paris : How beautiful the radiant bride
Who waits for her groom with His light in her eyes
How beautiful when humble hearts give
The fruit of pure lives so that others may live
How beautiful, how beautiful
How beautiful is the body of Christ

II.                One Spirit – Phil 1:19 (When s’thing been provided)
Jason Breland - When I think about the Lord. How he saved me. How me raised me. How he filled me with the Holy Ghost. How he healed me to the uttermost. It make me wanna shout. Halleluiah. Thank you Jesus. Lord your worthy. Of all the Glory.And all the Honor. And all the praise.

III.             Combined Calling – Eph 1:8 (Making life decision)
Steven Curtis Chapman- We will abandon it all for the sake of the call No other reason at all but the sake of the call Wholly devoted to live and to die for the sake of the call


IV.             Only One Lord – Mt 28:18 (Obey higher political laws)
Ancient of Days: Every tongue in heaven and earth, shall declare your glory -Every knee, shall bow at your throne, my Lord, in worship - You will be exalted Oh God, and your kingdom, shall not pass away, Oh Ancient of Days

V.                   One Faith – Gal 2:20 (Why My Life Now is Different)
Phillips Craig Dean – I am crucified with Christ
As I look back On what I thought was living I'm amazed at the price I choose to pay And to think I ignored What really mattered 'Cause I thought the sacrifice Would be too great But when I finally reached The point of giving in I found the cross Was calling even then And even though It took dying to survive I've never felt so much alive
For I am crucified with Christ And yet I live Not I but Christ That lives within me

VI.                One Baptism – Acts 19:4-5 (My reaction to the name Jesus)
Hillsong- One name Holds weight above them all -His fame Outlasts the earth He formed -His praise Resounds beyond the stars And echoes in our hearts- The greatest One of all -Lift up our eyes, see the King has come- Light of the world reaching out for us- There is no other name -There is no other name- Jesus Christ our God

VII.             God Alone – James 2:19; Deut 6:4 (Counseling someone)
William McDowell- You're not a God created by human hands  -You're not a God dependent on any mortal man- You're not a God in need of Anything we can give- By Your plan, that's just the way it is- You're the only God whose power none can contend- You're the only God whose name and Praise will never end- You're the only God who's worthy Of everything we can give- You are God, that's just the way it is
You are God alone, from before time began- You were on Your throne, You are God alone.- And right now, in the good times and bad- You are on Your throne, You are God alone.
You're unchangeable. Unshakable. Unstoppable. That's who you are.

No comments:


4 C's of the Cooperative Program - by Buck Burch

(Reprinted from The Christian Index: https://christianindex.org/stories/commentary-four-cs-of-the-cooperative-program,63306) T o put mysel...